Spread 159 – 23 Prompts
7 February 2014
Vintage and found papers, wrapping paper, paint chips, tracing paper image, metal tape, ink, white gesso, Nova color acrylic paint, matt medium, fiber paste, personal photo, Sigano white gel pen.
One afternoon during my visit with John & Terry we spend the afternoon together playing an art journaling game. We would take turns giving prompts and executing them in our journal. We went around for 23 prompts. This spread is the result in my journal. We had so much fun together, laughing and sharing, learning. A side note, the image on the right side is of my father standing on his head in the snow.
That was a very special day for us. Looking back it brings tears to my eyes. Three gown men playing like children together.
John’s spread is here.
Terry’s spread is here.
John documented our prompts here they are:
1. Start a background…..could be paint or could be masking tape….whatever desired
2. Writing experience…..in our case write about our friendship experience
3. add 3 pieces of ephemera
4. choose a paint color and apply with credit card
5. pass journal to the right and add a piece of ephemera
6. pass back and add a geometric or pattern piece of ephemera
7. pass to another and add a line dimension
8. pass back and cover 1/3 of spread with a dark or light color and distress
9. add a color and then scribe or use scraffito technique
10. write a word in large letters
11. add metal tape to spread
12. create ink drips
13. use modeling paste…mix with color if you like. ….place on spread in a few locations….close journal and rub….open journal and dry paste. Sand if desired
14. add ephemera
15. add gesso with a brayer or brush…..can also add gesso that is watered to milk consistency
16. add a piece of ephemera to a corner, dry and distress with sandpaper
17. stencil an area with a pattern
18. find a natural item…leaf, etc…paint it and print with it.
19. add circles to your spread….paint or paper
20. find a focus piece of ephemera, add to spread…dry and distress.
21. tie the work together with matte varnish and distress inks